The Association of Professional Scuba Training Organisations (APSTO) has published an interpretation of the latest government restrictions for England. Here at DiveStyle we are a PADI centre, we ask that all students, customers and partners to follow APSTO‘s recommendations when attending our sites.
DiveStyle is currently a tier 2 location – we ask that all students, customers and partners travelling from a tier 3 location avoid visiting us until such time that their area is in the same (or better) tier level than ours. We appreciate that many divers are keen to get back into the water but the health and safety of all students/customers and our staff is our primary concern.
APSTO GUIDANCE FOR DIVERS
Interpretation of the latest government restrictions for England
APSTO supports a return to diving and to assist diving businesses with interpreting the rules to achieve safe diving education. Our interpretation of the current guidelines is as follows:
- Diving instructors are at work and therefore able to travel. Diving students may find themselves limited by the location and home tier level. Travel from a tier 3 to tier 2 area for diving education is riskier than from a tier 2 to tier 2. It is hard to classify diving education as essential. APSTO recognises that travel by students from tier 3 to tier 2 should be avoided.
- Travel by instructors from tier 2 to tier 3 should be avoided. Note that training and diving inside a tier 3 is also acceptable.
- All briefings and education should be socially distanced at 2m. Any surface work prior to water entry wearing scuba requiring closer proximity than 2m should be controlled by wearing face masks at all times.
- The use of swimming pools for teaching scuba is acceptable in all tiers (although subject to any additional measures individual leisure centres or swimming pools choose to implement).
- Diving instructors should refer to the guidance given by their training organisation for specific COVID-19 teaching practises, with risk assessment undertaken to ensure control of the training process. Please refer to your training organisation for further details if required.