To venture outside the world of recreational diving requires training and equipment beyond the scope of that learned in recreational scuba diving courses. The PADI Tec Deep program is split into five courses which lead you from entry level technical diving through to a no depth limits trimix certification. The level of certification you wish to obtain is governed solely by your requirements.
The Tec 40 course introduces recreational divers to the equipment and procedures needed to dive to 40 meters with up to ten minutes of decompression and the use of up to 50 percent nitrox for conservative decompression. The course consists of self study followed by an evening of academic work, an evening pool session and three open water dives conducted over two days.
To enroll in the Tec 40 you need to:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or provide a qualifying certification from another training organization. For this course, a qualifying certification is proof of training beyond entry level with experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.
- Be certified as a PADI Enriched Air Diver or qualifying certification from another training organization. For this course, a qualifying certification is proof of training in nitrox diving with for the use of up to 40 percent nitrox blends.
- Have a minimum of 30 logged dives, of which at least 10 dives were made with nitrox deeper than 18 metres.
Example Training Schedule, normally completed over 3 days:
- Dive 1 – Trim & Positioning.
- Dive 2 – Trim & Positioning, Out of Air, Buddy checks – self check routines confirmed with Buddy.
- Dive 3 – Out of Air, Shut down Drills – identifying which manifold the issue may be.
- Dive 4 – Stage tank introduced, Shut Down, Deco NOTOX* drills at 12m, 9m, 6m, 3m.
- Dive 5 – Shut Down, Deco NOTOX Drills at 12m, 9m, 6m, Deploying Marker Buoy for ascent line, Low pressure inflator failure.
- Dive 6 – Simulated Deco dive on 21% EANx (Enriched Air Nitrox) NOTOX drills.
- Dive 7 – Final training dive recapping on all skills learnt.
- Dive 8 – Qualifying Dive 14mins @ 40m
Included in the course are Tec Deep Manual, cylinder, BCD, regulator and specialized equipment hire, and certification. Other equipment hire, diving fees, transport, accommodation and gas fees are not included.
Contact the dive centre who will arrange a meeting at the dive centre to discuss your training needs if required. Call us on 0118 9761729 or email us at info'at'divestyle.co.uk (replace 'at' with @).
Note: You must earn your Tec certification. If you are unable to complete the skills to a satisfactory standard, defined by the training body, within the allotted timeframe you will not obtain your certification. You will be offered the opportunity to continue but this will be at additional cost. Just because you paid for the course does not give you an automatic pass.